Tuesday 15 October 2013

Here I go again...

Wow, I never thought I would get to a point where I see one finished book by me never mind starting my fourth - well, fifth if you count A Gurumapa in the Wood - full length story. Anybody who has supported, encouraged or read my works to date I'm eternally grateful to you for getting me this far.

Now obviously I won't be dishing all the plot details right here and now because, to be honest, I don't even know all the details but that's part of the fun and adventure of writing a story. All I will say is this will be the first story I've written to be set in my home city of Belfast. I've always wanted to write a Belfast story rich in magic and myth but could never quite find the right hook or starting point until recently.

And I thought just to shake my own process up a bit, as well as make a point to blog on this thing more, I would document some of the journey in a way I haven't with my previous works. For me this book will be as much about telling a particular story, adding a bit of myth and mystery, as it is educating myself about a particular period of Belfast history I don't really know much about. It's a tale of fantasy but in some ways it also serves as a love letter to the beautifully flawed city I'm fiercely proud to have grown up in.

It might not see the light of day for a long time but every story has to start somewhere and mine begins in 1911...

No comments:

Post a Comment